Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Truck

Having only one vehicle that fits all 3 of our kids, put us in a bid sometimes at night. Whoever watches the kids get the van so that leaves me driving the truck at night when I have meetings I need to attend. Jim's usually hurrying home so I can run out the door, but sometimes he gets held up. Like yesterday I had a meeting in Salt Lake and he was running late on a job in Farmington, so I started driving up and we met in the middle and swapped vehicles on the side of the road.

I love Jim truck, but it's kind of a love/hate relationship. It works great for a work truck, and it rarely breaks down, I just don't want to drive it. Work truck=tools, food wrappers, empty drink bottles, grease, and a smell that I can't even describe. I usually open the door carefully so wrapper or other things don't fall out of it. I used to have to use pliers to pull out the emergency brake cord, which I always had to dig around on the floor to find to find the pliers, Jim fixed this a couple of months ago. The handle grabber on the inside of the door is missing so I try to grip the door wherever I can and slam it shut. One time I was driving and hit a bump, it was really unavoidable(construction on 3300 south, when does it end), the tail gate must have come open. I'm lucky nothing fell out the back of the truck, that would have sucked, me running in traffic trying to collect my hubby's tools from the middle of the road. I tried to shut the gate but it kept falling down, I had a friend grab a end and we both slammed as hard as we could and it worked, until I started driving and and heard it fall down again. I called Jim to see if there was some special technique to doing this. Sure enough he said you have to hit the handle really hard after its closed, I gave it my best try and all I accomplished was a sore hand. I decided to give it my best kick boxing try, and sure enough it was shut for good this time. I can just imagine what people were seeing watching me inside of Diva cupcake as I was kicking the crap out my truck, good times.

Lots of times my meeting are at houses in Sugarhouse, I can't parallel park anyway let alone a huge truck. It just adds a whole new challenge trying to park this big truck without barreling into something. Sometimes I drop Desi off at dance in the truck before heading to my meeting, Desi laughs and says," mom you really don't know how to drive this truck, you are going to crash."

Yesterday on the way home in the truck I felt something poking me in the back, I tried to ignore it. I reached back and it was a hacksaw, really a hacksaw what the hell!! I told Jim about it and he told me it was harmless and had a dull blade. He is just lucky it didn't rip my good Costco pants!!

I always find myself laughing, you just never know the adventures your going to have while driving the truck.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I think I might have you beat on the truck Pam. Greg's beater makes Jim's truck look like a beauty. Seriously, to start the thing, you have to 1/2 turn the key, flick a switch and then push a button. It makes for a good laugh though.