Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Grandma Hoggan

I find that this time of year I reflect on family, I think of traditions from my childhood and ones I'm starting with my own family. I also think of family that has passed on. My Grandma Hoggan gave me this glass sleigh, with dove chocolates in it. She brought it to the hospital after I had Desi, She wanted me to have something to offer guests as they were coming to see me and the baby. I thought it was so thoughtful, I still fill it with dove chocolates every Christmas, in memory of her, she passed away just two months later unexpectedly of old age.
My Grandma loved chocolate and she would always have hidden candy bars in her room that she would sometimes share with us, her favorite were uno bars. We would visit my Grandparents every summer in California, we would go to the beach, Swimming at the local pool, Disneyland, but most of all I just enjoyed hanging out at the House and playing. Grandma would always give us to much candy, and would spoil us with bacon and eggs in the morning, my Grandma loved to cook, Yummy!! My Grandparents yard was a childhood dream, with lots of hiding places, there yard sloped up like a hill with lots of trees and little trails, we would pretend we were in a forest.
In my teen years my Grandparents moved to Utah, they lived close enough that we could walk to visit them. We were able to start sharing the holidays with them, which was so much fun. Lots of my family moved to Utah after my Grandparents moved, I finally had lots of family close by. We would go on lots of day trips together, we would load up our cars and head out for the day exploring different places in Utah. We would go hiking, picnicking, we would go to local fairs. We spent lots of time in Ogden since my Grandparents grew up there, we would drive around and they would show us where they went on their first date, or their house where they grew up, my favorite was visiting the the local ice cream parlor, farr better ice cream. I love you Grandma!!




My favorite dove chocolates

2 comments:

audreycoggins said...

Hi,I'M Audrey Joanna Grand mother, about tobe a Great Grandmothe rin March....I haveone Grandaughter....I miss her so....Shewent off to College and my world changed so much....reading your beautiful story was bringing back alot ofwonderful memories for me asmy daughterhad awonderful Nanny,whom she loved so much....Hugs an dHappy Holidays to you an dyours love from the state of Virginia

motherofangels said...

Now you have me crying!!!! I LOVE this post!